- Control of splanchnic blood flow
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- Lactate metabolism
- Organ dysfunction associated with sepsis
We are investigating splanchnic perfusion in health and disease, and its role in the development of multiple organ failurewith a special focus on physiology and pathophysiology of liver blood flow and lactate kinetics. Further interests are theneuro-pathophysiology in critical illness, from cell culture to multicenter studies in patients, as well as translationalresearch in Intensive Care Medicine directed towards mitochondrial (dys-)function, especially induced by drugs but also insepsis and other diseases.
Prof. Dr. med. Jukka Takala
- Liver and brain dysfunction in experimental sepsis
- Effects of nursing procedures on hepatic, renal and cerebral oxygen transport
- Effects of midazolam and propofol on primary hepatocytes and astrocytes
- Effects of Trendelenburg position and increased airway pressure on hepatic regional lood flow of normal and resected liver. Liu S, Moller PW, Kohler A, Hana A, Beldi G, Obrist D, Berger D, Takala J, Jakob SM. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2020 Mar 1;128(3):667-680.
- Perception and performance on a virtual reality cognitive stimulation for use in the intensive care unit: A non-randomized trial in critically ill patients. Gerber SM, Jeitziner MM, Knobel SEJ, Mosimann UP, Müri RM, Jakob SM, Nef T. Front Med (Lausanne). 2019 Dec 10;6:287.
- Portal hyperperfusion after major liver resection and associated sinusoidal damage is a therapeutic target to protect the remnant liver. Kohler A, Moller PW, Frey S, Tinguely P, Candinas D, Obrist D, Jakob SM, Beldi G. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2019 Sep 1;317(3):G264-G274.
- Perioperative fluid accumulation impairs intestinal contractility to a similar extent as peritonitis and endotoxemia. Gorrasi J, Jakob SM, Tovar L, Balsiger B, Brandt S, Bruegger LE, Bracht H, Takala J. Shock. 2018 Dec;50(6):735-740.
- A randomized controlled pilot study to evaluate the effect of an enteral formulation designed to improve gastrointestinal tolerance in the critically ill patient – the SPIRIT trial. Jakob SM, Bütikofer L, Berger D, Coslovsky M, Takala J. Crit Care. 2017 Jun 10;21(1):140.
- Mitochondrial function of immune cells in septic shock: A prospective observational cohort study. Merz TM, Pereira AJ, Schürch R, Schefold JC, Jakob SM, Takala J, Djafarzadeh S. PLoS One. 2017 Jun 7;12(6):e0178946.
- Time course of blood lactate levels, inflammation, and mitochondrial function in experimental sepsis. Corrêa TD, Pereira AJ, Brandt S, Vuda M, Djafarzadeh S, Takala J, Jakob SM. Crit Care. 2017 May 12;21(1):105.
- Department of Visceral Surgery and Medicine, Inselspital
- Department of Neurosurgery, Inselspital
- ARTORG, Center for Biomedical Engineering Research, University of Bern
- Perioperative, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine, Helsinki University Hospital
- Department of Intensive Care, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen