Der folgende Text ist derzeit nur auf Englisch verfügbar
Sepsis – a severe form of infection – is one of the major cause of morbidity, multiple organ failure and mortality among ICU patients. Host as well as pathogen related factors positively or negatively influence patients’ outcome. The research laboratory conduct several projects both on the host and the pathogen sides. One of the main focus of the research laboratory is to get insights into the pathogenesis of multiple organ failure, with a special emphasize on the study of mitochondrial dysfunction in various models of infections and/or patient samples.
Another focus of the laboratory is to develop innovative strategies to fight the increasing threat of antibiotic resistance. Special emphasize is put on alternatives to antibiotic such as bacteriophages. Bacteriophages are bacterial natural viruses that kill bacteria at the end of their life cycle. They have been largely used before the advent of antibiotic and are being rediscovered and re-considered as potential solutions against multi-drug resistant bacteria.
Prof. Dr. med. Dr. phil. Yok-Ai Que
Das experimentelle Forschungslabor der Universitätsklinik für Intensivmedizin unterstützt experimentelle und klinische Forschung der Universitätsklinik für Intensivmedizin und anderer Kliniken und führt eigene zellbiologische Untersuchungen durch.
Unter anderem verwendet unser Team folgende Techniken:
- Electron microscopy / immune electron microscopy
- Light microscopy
- Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA)
- Cell culturing
- SDS-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) & Western blotting
- Subcellular fractionation: isolation of crude mitochondria, pure mitochondria and mitochondrial associated membranes from tissues / cell cultures
- Determination of mitochondrial respiration rates using high-resolution respirometry, determination of mitochondrial membrane potential
- Determination of mitochondrial respiratory chain enzyme activities by spectrophotometry and assessment of citrate synthase activity
- Determination of cellular / tissue ATP contents
- Isolation of human white blood cells (T cells, B cells, monocytes) using magnetic beads